- Microsoft: 103 artificial intelligence patents deposited in 3 years. 68% of them were filed in 2016 alone.
- Google: 80 patents deposited in 3 years, nearly half of which in 2015.
- Facebook: 28 patents filed, with an acceleration in 2016.
- Amazon: 23 patents filed, of which 78% in 2016.
- Apple: 10 patents deposited.
The American tech giants do not skimp on R&D to maintain their technological lead, as evidenced by the number of patents they file each year. Since 2009, the GAFAM (Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple and Microsoft) have thus filed more than 52,000 new patents, according to CB Insights data. And it was in 2013 that the 5 companies were the most active in terms of research, with more than 9,800 patent filings over the year, again according to the estimates of the American research firm.
Artificial intelligence holds a prominent place in their innovation strategies. Indeed, since 2014, GAFAM has filed 244 patents in this field. Unsurprisingly, Microsoft comes first, with 103 patent filings recorded over the period, and a marked acceleration in 2016. Google comes in second, with 80 patents filed in the area of artificial intelligence. Note that Apple has only filed 10 patents on artificial intelligence for 3 years.
Sources: CB Insights, Statista