The Mobile World Congress will be held in Barcelona from Monday February 27 to Thursday March 1. The annual world conference organized by the GSMA will bring together the players in the mobile sector: operators, manufacturers, publishers, etc. In total, nearly 60 countries are represented, and 130 French companies present at the Ubifrance pavilion on site. In 2011, 60,000 visitors made the trip.
This year, there are 7 mobile themes: applications, the cloud, wireless mobile devices, green technology, health, financial services, and a new section dedicated to mobile marketing (“mPowered Brands”).
On the program: conferences, keynotes with the presence of guests like Eric Schmidt (Google) or Hans Vestberg, CEO of Ericsson, CEO Mike McCue, CEO of Flipboard, and Skype, who will be represented by Rick Osterloh, Vice President and Head of Product Management and Design.
The ball of new smartphones …
- Korean LG drew the first. He announced today a new smartphone, the Optimus 4X HD. LG has monopolized the media space as much as possible this week by announcing a range of new terminals: the Optimus 3D Max and 3D Cube, the Optimus Vu, the L3, L5 and L7. The first releases on the market would take place in the spring.
- Nokia could announce the market launch of a Lumia, a Windows Phone smartphone, according to Reuters. A launch of an entry-level version in the right strategy of the launches of Lumia 800 and 710, of the lumia-900 presented at CES 2012.
- Another highly anticipated launch by Chinese ZTE, which will unveil at least 3 new Android smartphones.
- Sony Mobile Communications will present new devices. We are talking about a Windows Phone terminal equipped with a sliding azerty keyboard.
… and technological innovations
- STMicroelectronics motion sensor technology is of interest to manufacturers, who could integrate optical image stabilization (OIS) and location services (LBS) functions in the future. ST’s innovation further allows for sharper images even when lighting is poor.
- Mozilla, which will present the Boot to Gecko project, a gallery of web applications as well as the Firefox for Android browser
- Spirent Communications will offer LTE / UMTS test solutions for geolocation services (LBS), mobility and data transmission performance, as well as packet switched networks. Spirent will present an industry-leading mobile channel emulator to simplify MIMO testing.
- Nuance Communications, a company specializing in voice recognition on mobile devices (Dragon Dictation, Dragon Search for iOS, Swype & FlexT9 for Android), will present in Barcelona the new features added to its applications as well as its recent voice platform for television: Dragon TV, unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas
- The automobile giant Ford is also invited to the event, with the presence of Bill Ford, executive chairman of Ford Motor Company. Ford will be exhibiting its connected EVOS concept car, which gives the driver access to their cloud space. Ford will also present SYNC, an on-board communication system developed with Microsoft. Already marketed in the United States, Ford SYNC will be launched in Europe in the course of 2012.
The most passionate will be able to follow the events of the World Mobile Congress live, on the site dedicated.