The latest version of the famous Internet Trends Report just revealed at the Code Conference. Like every year, Mary Meeker, venture capitalist for several years at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and who recently launched her own fund, Bond Capital, identified the trends to follow in Tech.
What to remember
- The number of internet users has reached 3.8 billion people, which represents more than half of the world’s population.
- China accounts for 21% of all internet users worldwide, compared to 8% for the United States.
- Among the world leaders according to their market capitalization, out of the top 10, 7 are Tech companies, in order: 1) Microsoft, 2) Amazon, 3) Apple, 4) Alphabet, 5) Berkshire Hathaway, 6) Facebook, 7) Alibaba, 8) Tencent, 9) Visa and 10) Johnson & Johnson. Of the 30 largest market capitalizations, 23 are US companies.
- Online sales growth was 12.4% in the United States in 2018, against 12.1% in 2017. Sales in physical stores are also up, but only 2%. In total, e-commerce accounts for 15% of retail sales in the country.
- Google and Facebook still dominate online advertising. However, Amazon, Twitter, Snapchat or even Pinterest certainly weigh much less in the field but have all the same seen their income accelerate. In any case, the report highlights a point of vigilance: the cost of converting users is increasing, a situation which cannot be sustainable because it sometimes exceeds the prospects for gains. So you have to find other ways to attract customers like free trials.
- Targeted advertising: Mary Meeker expects revenue growth to decelerate throughout the year. In question? Growing concerns about the protection of privacy. The GDPR and other regulations will have an impact in the long term, in addition to the changes made by manufacturers like Apple through iOS, in addition to the increased vigilance of Internet users.
- Americans spent an average of 6.3 hours per day on the internet (3.6 on mobile, 2 on computer and 0.7 via other devices) in 2018, compared to 5.9 hours in 2017.
- Public and private investments in tech companies reach their highest level in two decades, hovering around $ 200 billion last year.
- Image is the preferred mode of communication on the Internet. Thus, the platforms favoring this mode of communication are the ones that have recorded the highest growth rate. At the top, we find YouTube and Instagram which have made the most progress in terms of time spent on their platforms. Another piece of data illustrates this fact: More than 50% of all tweets, for example, now include images.
- About 70 million people listen to podcasts in the United States, a figure that has almost doubled in four years. The 3 most popular programs are The Daily from New York Times, The Joe Rogan Experience, and Stuff You Should Know from iHeartMedia.
- 47 million people have installed Amazon Echo. A figure that has roughly doubled compared to last year.
- 52 million people use “wearables”, these technologies which focus on oneself – such as connected watches – in the United States, a proportion which has doubled in four years.
- Innovation outside the United States remains robust, for example, brands with a “data-driven” and “consumer-to-manufacturer” strategy are growing rapidly, notably with a company like Pinduoduo in China and its strategy which consists in first understanding user needs and then pushing suppliers , manufacturers, etc., to produce the appropriate goods. Innovation is also strong in other areas such as delivery technologies or financial services.
- Interactive games are an increasingly relevant way to communicate. The number of interactive gamers around the world increased 6% to 2.4 billion people.
- Fortnite alone captures 250 million players, it is the same for the social network for gamers Discord.
- The report notes a strong use of the adoption of digital solutions in healthcare in the United States. There are many gains in the various segments, in telemedicine for example, which strengthens relationships between patients and practitioners.
You can consult the entire Internet Trends Report 2019 here.