With 27 million players in France (55% of the population), the audience for video games has exploded over the past 10 years. This is what reveals a infographics published by SponsorPay, specialist in monetization in mobile and social games.
- The video game market has grown by 300% in 12 years, partly thanks to mobile gaming (14.3M players), casual gaming (14.3M), and social gaming (12.2M).
- Video games have overtaken newspaper and radio reading with more than 10 hours of gaming per week per user in 2012 (+ 21% over one year).
- Despite the emergence of Facebook, applications on smartphones and tablets, gamers still spend the majority of their time playing on their computer (67%).
- The average age of players is 35, of which more than half are women. These favor social games over other games.
- Over 70% of smartphone game revenue comes from in-app purchases on free apps.
Regarding advertising on games, the free-to-play model is at the origin of a new advertising model: “value exchange advertising”:
- 87% of players would agree to watch more advertising with this format
- 91% of players say they pay more attention to incentive advertising
- 84% prefer to watch advertisements in their games rather than on television (70% for Youtube).
- This advertising model increases purchase intention for the brand by 32%
- Finally, 22% of gamers have a more positive vision of the brand thanks to this format.