Facebook blocks Donald Trump’s account indefinitely

by bold-lichterman

US President Donald Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts are blocked indefinitely and for “At least the next two weeks”Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced on Thursday in the wake of the violence in Washington. “We believe that allowing the president to continue to use our services during this period poses too great risks”, said Mark Zuckerberg on his Facebook account, after a temporary suspension announced Wednesday evening. “Therefore, we are extending the blocking of his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is completed.”, he said.

The certification of Joe Biden’s victory in Congress on Wednesday was interrupted by pro-Trump protesters who invaded the Capitol for several hours in an insurrectionary climate. The outgoing president addressed the crowd, encouraging his supporters to advance towards Congress, before posting a video in which he repeated without proof that the election had been “stolen” from them. “I love you,” he even said. Facebook, Twitter and YouTube have generally chosen, until now, to hide or pin the president’s misleading or inflammatory posts with warnings.

A context “Fundamentally different”

But Wednesday, they ended up withdrawing some of his remarks, then, in the evening, by suspending his accounts temporarily. “We believe that the public has the right to have the widest possible access to political speeches, even controversial ones”, recalled Mark Zuckerberg, often criticized in recent months for his approach deemed lax by part of civil society. “But the current context is now fundamentally different, with the use of our platform to encourage a violent insurgency against a democratically elected government”, he detailed.

The Snapchat app also confirmed Thursday that it blocked the profile of the outgoing president. Twitter, which threatened Wednesday to indefinitely suspend the billionaire’s account with 88 million subscribers, did not respond to an AFP request on Thursday. This was the first time the Twitter Network has removed tweets from Donald Trump for non-copyright reasons.